Phoenix Garbage Disposal Repair
Say Goodbye to Clogs with A New Garbage Disposal Installation
When it comes to getting rid of unwanted mess in the kitchen, they seem to take care of all the dirty work for us. Yet should we really be relying on our garbage disposals for everything?
Having a broken garbage disposal can be a huge pain. However, with proper use and some routine maintenance, a garbage disposal (or disposer) can last for many years. On the other hand, when the device is finally worn out or broken, it can lead to slow or clogged drains and a foul smell from kitchen waste. Keep reading for everything you need to know about garbage disposal care, and make sure you call Rainforest Plumbing & Air when you need expert garage disposal repair in Phoenix.
Our Phoenix garbage disposal installation team is available by phone at (602) 755-2995
How Does a Garbage Disposal Work?
Garbage disposals allow you to grind up food into small pieces so that it easily passes through sewage drain pipes. If you cook a lot or have pets that get into the trash, this handy gadget can make your cleanup faster and easier. Garbage disposals are attached to the bottom of the drain in a kitchen sink and as you feed scraps of food into your drain, a shredder grinds them up. You have to run cold water while the disposal is operating so it can help push the food down, but in general, these appliances are very helpful and extremely easy to use.
Maintaining a Garbage Disposal
A garbage disposal will sometimes automatically shut off if an overload occurs. When this happens, it is important to clear the disposal by running some hot water down it and then pressing the rest button on the underside of the unit. If this does not work, there may be a problem with the wiring. The unit may also jam, but fortunately, the majority of garbage disposals on the market today come with a jam wrench (which is really just an Allen wrench.) On the bottom of the unit is a hole where the wrench will fit. Just insert the wrench and turn it back and forth until the jam is freed.
Your garbage disposal’s blades may also become dull after years of use. Although many people will recommend using materials such as glass and chicken bones to sharpen the blades, we DO NOT recommend either of these. The safest and easiest option, other than replacing the blades entirely, would be to use a small amount of ice.
PLEASE EXERCISE EXTREME CAUTION WHEN CLEANING YOUR GARBAGE DISPOSAL – MAKE SURE TO DISCONNECT FROM POWER BEFORE INSERTING ANY CLEANING TOOL INTO THE DISPOSAL AND NEVER-EVER PUT YOUR HAND IN THE UNIT FOR ANY REASON!
How Can I Tell If I Need Garbage Disposal Repair
1. Something is stuck - Sometimes, you may find a stubborn object or fibrous gunk stuck in your garbage disposal that inhabits the blades from spinning.
2. Foul smells - You may also detect a smell coming from your kitchen sink’s drain, indicating that there is food waste stuck in the disposal (or it could be a sewer line problem.) If, after carefully cleaning your garbage disposal, you find the blades still do not spin, or make a low humming sound, you should call Rainforest Plumbing & Air for garbage disposal repair or replacement.
3. It won't turn on - If your garbage disposal simply won't turn on, first test another electrical appliance on the same outlet or circuit. If another outlet works fine, try pressing the reset button and if all else fails it might be time to consult our Phoenix garbage disposal installation experts about getting a new unit.
4. You keep needing to press the reset button - The reset button should only be utilized every so often. If you're finding that you need to press it again and again, then it might be time to get your garbage disposal inspected by a trained professional.
5. It's breaking down foods too slowly - The reason you got a new garbage disposal installation is so that you can break down foods quickly and efficiently. If you're finding that it's just not breaking down foods as fast as it used to, contact our Phoenix garbage disposal repair experts to get it back on track.
Remember, in addition to the tips mentioned above, the best way to take care of your garbage disposal is to watch what you are putting down it. It may have the word “garbage” in its name, but this device is only meant to take care of small scraps of food—for everything else, put it in the trash can instead.
Foods you should avoid putting down your garbage disposal include:
- Large Fruit Skins/Rinds
- Fibrous Foods
- Heavy Starches
- Coffee Grounds
- Egg Shells
Our exclusive membership plan offers many benefits that improve system efficiency and
provide discounts on service calls, while giving you priority service and peace of mind.
Call Our Phoenix Garbage Disposal Repair Team Today
With over 20 years of experience in the plumbing industry, taking care of garbage disposal repairs is no problem for Rainforest Plumbing & Air. Contact us today, and you can take advantage of specials and financing options to help make our work even more affordable. Our team has a reputation for honest and effective service, and with our “up-front guarantee” on pricing, you’ll always get a great deal when you hire Rainforest Plumbing & Air.
Promoting skills, knowledge, leadership, motivation, and teamwork.Rainforest University
We are hiring! Apply to join our team for great experience and benefits.See Our Jobs
We know you have many choices, but only we have the up-front guarantee!Learn More